Join Our Team
Sydney Dogs & Cats Home strives to be Australia's leading shelter for companion animals. We seek to improve the lives of our animals, our people and our community. A dedicated and collaborative team, Sydney Dogs & Cat Home employees are not only passionate about animals but also have the skill and experience required to create a positive environment for the people and pets who come through our doors each day.
CURRENTLY JOB OPPORTUNITIES INCLUDE:
Senior Animal Attendant
Sydney Dogs and Cats Home is a not-for-profit, community-focused animal welfare organisation whose mission is to provide high-quality support services both for in-need companion animals and the people who care for them. Our core business is providing stray animal management services for a number of Sydney councils and reuniting, rehabilitating and rehoming the animals in our care. Our organisation is at an exciting point of expansion and development and we are looking for dedicated, like-minded people to join us on this journey.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The position of Senior Animal Attendant presents a great opportunity to make a difference in the world of companion animal welfare. Sydney Dogs and Cats Home is passionate about providing best-practice animal care including reward-based training techniques, fear-free handling and low-stress housing environments. This role has a primary focus on dog care, but with flexibility to also care for cats and small animals as needed. Senior Animal Attendants are responsible for running the site on a day-to-day basis, ensuring all animals receive high-quality care and focusing on achieving the best outcome for the animals.
The successful applicant will be based at our Austral site. The role is flexible and dynamic and the successful applicant will have the opportunity to help grow this already highly regarded animal welfare organisation. The possibilities are endless in the number of animals that we can assist.
THE ROLE WILL INCLUDE:
- Exploring all possible avenues to reunite lost animals with their owners as quickly as possible and provide education and support where needed.
- Placing animals into appropriate adoptive homes; educating adopters on animal care and animal behaviour, and matching the right animal to the right person.
- All aspects of daily animal care within the shelter including receiving and processing incoming and exiting animals, cleaning, feeding, exercising, socialising, behavioural modification and enrichment for dogs, cats, rabbits and birds.
- Conducting animal behaviour assessments and animal behaviour modification plans.
- Participation in community education programs, student and volunteer training and animal welfare events.
- Transportation of animals between sites and to rescue and adoption partners.
The role is a full-time position and involves a 9-day rotating fortnight roster. Remuneration will be disclosed during initial interviews.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
The successful applicant will have:
- Strong animal handling skills and an interest in animal behaviour
- Compassion and empathy for humans and animals in need
- Excellent customer service skills
- A positive outlook and willingness to be involved in all aspects of the organisation
- The ability to work closely with a team as well as autonomously
- A current NSW driver's license and their own vehicle
A recognised qualification in animal studies, animal behaviour, veterinary nursing, or other relevant areas and/or experience working in the animal welfare or community welfare industries will be highly regarded.
Maintenance and Transport Officer
We are seeking a Maintenance and Transport Officer to support our organisation with our transport and maintenance requirements. This is a part-time position, equivalent to 0.6 FTE or 3 days per week work with flexibility of work hours available.
ABOUT THE ROLE
- To assist with fixing minor maintenance jobs across Sydney Dogs & Cats Home sites including Strathfield, Austral and Kurnell.
- Assist with Sydney Dogs & Cats Home transportation needs such as the transportation of animals and other goods.
- Determine when outside tradespeople need to be called in.
- Contact external tradespeople and request quotes for work needing to be done.
- Coordinate all deliveries and storage item requests.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Ideally, you'll bring proven experience in a maintenance, logistics and transportation role and be able to provide evidence of the following role requirements:
• White Card
• Good handyman skills and experience
• Police Clearance
• Friendly disposition an excellent customer service skills
• Driver's Licence (C) current, clean manual licence
• Confidence in driving a large van and/or towing a trailer
• Good time management and communication skills
• Sound driving skills
• Physically fit and able to lift 10kg
• Good animal handling skills
• Ability to work autonomously and within a team
Sydney Dogs & Cats Home will provide access to a work vehicle and a basic tool kit.
To apply, click here.